Sunday, March 1, 2009

An Important Letter

The following letter was written on THIS date sixty-three years ago. The letter was addressed to Mr. Ed Ralls, a founding member of FBCLS. The letter was written by Glenn Florence, a Senator in the Georgia General Assembly. In the letter Mr. Florence agrees to donate a plot of land in downtown Lithia Springs for the church.


Mr. Florence is pictured to the left. The text of his letter is provided below:

Punta Gorda, Florida
March 1, 1946

Mr. E. Ralls,

Dear friend and brother. I read your letter this p.m. and knowing the need of a Baptist church and Sunday School in Lithia , I feel I owe my Lord a debt I can never repay and am not trying to repay.

But wanting to try to help in any way I can, I will be glad to donate a church site if the place can be used. First, how much frontage would you want? Second, I would rather not have it on highway between stores and Mr. Alley’s place. Third, have you looked at place next to school house, as you could utilize part of school grounds for large Sunday crowds. How soon do you plan on starting a building?

I have some lots on the left side of road to Sweetwater Creek. You might get Mr. Walt Mozeley to show you the places and write me the amount of frontage needed and the depth and place, and I am sure we can get together.

Thanking you for the change to do something, I remain

Your brother-in-Christ

Glenn Florence

0 Comments: